We are positively bursting at the seams and have found a wonderful new home for our work stations and files – the historic Kershaw-Anderson House at 918 Old Bainbridge Road, Tallahassee, Florida.
Reverend Albert J. Kershaw served as the fourth pastor of Tallahassee’s Bethel A.M.E. Church. Like Reverend Charles Pearce before him, A.J. Kershaw had considerable influence in the Black community. He held various positions within the A.M.E. Florida Conference. He served as the Secretary-President over Monticello, Pensacola, Tallahassee, and Marianna, Florida from 1881-1888. Rev. Kershaw also filled the role of Presiding Elder of the Monticello District, Florida Conference.
In 1890, Rev. Kershaw built a residence at 833 Central Ave in Tallahassee that still stands at 833 Central Avenue. Rev. Kershaw died there on October 31, 1917 and was buried in the Old City Cemetery.
Kershaw left two daughters, Anna and Ella and one son, Bernard. His estate included a small tract of land immediately west of his home – on Old Bainbridge Road. In 1945, this property was platted and developed as the Kershaw Subdivision by his granddaughter, Willie Kershaw Perkins (Anna’s daughter). Another Kershaw granddaughter, Ruby Anderson, built and occupied the house at 918 Old Bainbridge Road in 1950. Later, Rev. Kershaw’s great-grandson, Bernard Anderson, took over the residence.
The home was purchased by local preservationist and FAAHPN member, Annie Harris, in 2002. In honor of the home’s previous owners, she christened the dwelling The Kershaw-Anderson Community House. The home offers much-needed neighborhood meeting and office space and is filled with antiques, collectibles and works produced by local artisans. We invite you to contact us for a tour of this beautifully preserved home.
FL African American Heritage Preservation Network
918 Old Bainbridge Road
Mailing address: P.O. Box 38174, Tallahassee, FL 32315